Writer, Curator, etc.
Jenna Sutela works with words and structures in the fields of design, art and media. Her written, performed and curatorial projects seek to identify and react to precarious social and material moments—most recently, the physical nature of information networks and the relationship of art to work. She is a contributor to several international publications and has a background in media studies.
- New Degrees of Freedom (2013), a living media project that entails the creation of an avatar who transitions back and forth between real and virtual space
- ADD METAPHYSICS (2013), a publishing project on digital materialities at an art, design and architecture school fabrication laboratory
- Nearness (2013), ephemeral audiovisual storytelling for human screens around a projector campfire
- Sounds Like Work (2012), a curatorial project exploring the relationship of art to work through language, sound, and video
- Solution 239-246, Finland: The Welfare Game (2011), a book (ed. Martti Kalliala) about Finland’s modern history as a nation under construction
- Articles, including Erkki Kurenniemi: Towards 2048 (February 2014), Listening Exercises (February 2013), Tõnis Vint and His Aesthetic Universe (November-December 2012), and Non-Linear Reading (May 2012)
- Three years of alternative cultural institute OK Do (2009-2012)
Work presented at/in: 032c Workshop, 0fr., 1:1 at Import Projects, Aalto University, Antagon, Apartamento, ARCOmadrid, Art Metropole, Design Museum Helsinki, frieze, frieze d/e, Fulcrum, Harvard GSD, Index – The Swedish Contemporary Art Foundation, Istanbul Contemporary Etc., KALEIDOSCOPE, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Kulttuurisauna, Kunsthalle Helsinki, Motto Berlin, Museum of Finnish Architecture, New Museum, Redress, Solution by Sternberg Press, Stream of Consciousness at W139, Studio-X at Columbia GSAPP, Stuttgart State Academy of Art and Design, The University of the Arts Helsinki, The Wire, Universität der Künste Berlin, Waves of Direction, X Marks the Bökship, etc.