Writer, Artist, Etc.
Jenna Sutela's written, directed, installed and performed projects seek to identify and react to precarious social and material moments—most recently, the relationship between the body and its technologically-mediated environment. She is a contributor to several international publications and has a background in media and design research.
- Disruption Begins at Home (2014–), a speculative design research project on the image of liquidity in relation to home ownership
- New Degrees of Freedom (2013–), a living media project exploring different means to identity fluidity through the creation of real-life avatars
- New Degrees of Freedom, Act 3: Water, audio play and installation, The Posthuman Era Became a Girl with Arcadia Missa at South London Gallery, July 26, 2014
- When You Moved, video essay, 2014
- Ill-Suited Primate, essay, V4ULT, Nero Press 2014
- Body Boundaries: Neoprene, article, Harvard Design Magazine A/W 2014
- ADD METAPHYSICS (2013), a publication on digital materialities at an art, design and architecture school fabrication laboratory
- Nearness (2013), ephemeral audiovisual storytelling for human screens around a projector campfire
- Sounds Like Work (2012), a curatorial project exploring the relationship of art to work through language, sound, and video
- Solution 239-246, Finland: The Welfare Game (2011), a book (ed. Martti Kalliala) about Finland’s modern history as a nation under construction
- Articles, including Erkki Kurenniemi: Towards 2048 (February 2014), Listening Exercises (February 2013), Tõnis Vint and His Aesthetic Universe (November-December 2012), and Non-Linear Reading (May 2012)
Work presented at/in: 032c Workshop, 1:1 at Import Projects, Aalto University, AIRBNB Pavilion, Antagon, Art Metropole, frieze, Fulcrum, Harvard GSD, Index – The Swedish Contemporary Art Foundation, KALEIDOSCOPE, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Kulttuurisauna, Kunsthalle Helsinki, New Museum, Solution by Sternberg Press, Stream of Consciousness at W139, Studio-X at Columbia GSAPP, The Wire, Universität der Künste Berlin, Waves of Direction, YOGA Center, etc.